Amir has been talking about wanting a dice bag for quite some time, but I never got around to making one until he “threatened” to buy one. (Well, he said “I have to buy a dice bag, so I can’t afford another card box”, which still counts)
(Btw those are my dice, just there for the photo shoot. My dice suit the bag better than his dice. Maybe I should take it back.)
I have this awesome knockoff space invader fabric that I think I got from spoonflower but it may just be a regular store bought quilt fabric. So I suggested it, and he agreed.
After some minor migraine aggression from my side, we sort of agreed on a general idea, and this is what I did.
I cut a 30cm square of the invaders, then I sewed it into a tube, so the invaders on the left joined the invaders on the right.
I then centered the seam (just because I wanted it mid back for no reason), pressed it open, and sewed shut both ends of the tube.
After sewing it shut, I cut 2cm squares from all corners. It’s important to measure from the “seams”, not the edges!
Once cut, you can press open the new seams as well.
Now keep track of which end should be your “outside”. Those two corners should be pinched up and sewn together. Only one corner of the inside should be sewn shut. (see below, one inner corner sewn, one remains open – at the “head” of the invaders, as they can be upside down in the bag rather than outside of it)
Now pull the entire bag through that open corner. It’s a tiny hole, so it’s easiest if you stick the opposite corner from the other end of the tube through first, then you can just pull it.
Straighten your outer corners neatly, then sew the inner corner shut. Once that is done, you can poke the inner corners into the outer corners, and straighten out the bag.
At this point it’s a good idea to press that top, sticking your iron into the pouch slightly. It’ll make it better behaved for attaching another tube.
I should have cut a 30 x 5.5 cm strip of fabric (but I made it a bit short, at 28… it has benefits too, but it wasn’t what I indended). The point is to make a tunnel for the draw string that isn’t quite as long as the circumference of the bag, but not far too short either.
Fold the strip lengthwise and sew along the length. Here you can choose how lazy you are. It’s slightly sturdier if you do it right sides together, iron open the seam, then turn. But since the seam will face the bag, you could just do it wrong sides together, press open the seams, and it won’t show anyway.
Then you just fold in the ends of the tube into itself and sew them shut. Make sure it ends up being slightly shorter than the circumference of the bag, otherwise it’ll be a strain to close. Then it’s time to mount it.
I turned the bag inside out and pinned the strip to the “inside outside” of the bag, to make sewing it on easier. To position it, fold the strip in half and put the fold on the opposite side of where you want your opening.
Start with the upper seam, as it requires the least amount of fabric manipulation, then do the bottom one. Just keep folding the bag over as you go.
Fold your bag back right side out, and string whatever you like as a string through the tunnel.
It’s a little stiff to close, as you want to bunch up a lot of fabric in a very small space. But it’s sturdy for a quilt fabric pouch, and it probably won’t wear down too quickly from draw string friction.